Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dining Space : Contrast and Centrality

                        The table that inspired this entire creation.....



Behind the Scenes Ideas: 




Both of these models are sketch models that show some of the materialistic ideas I was trying to show and placement of objects.  The left one is one of the later sketch models that shows the ceiling idea and sideboard while the one of the left is one of my original/first models to help get my ideas flowing and start thinking about arrangement and feeling of the space. 


 These were preliminary ideas and models of my sideboard. I started out with just the two standing  units and then added the shelf that extends outwards on the right hand side unity to add more counter space and keep the shape flowing to the end of the wall. 




                                                         
Final Project:                                                



This is my concept board that I first presented to the class as my idea for what I saw in a dining experience. I used concentric circles to represent unity within a space. I colored them with  primary colors because not only is my table those colors, but its also representing contrasting or different people coming together and "mixing" over a common meal. Then, I colored in the overlapping parts the colors that the primary colors make to represent the new conversations and the meshing of personalities and people as the experience happens. The black enfinity symbol in the background adds contrast and also represents that dining has been happening for centeries and will continue to happen for years  to come. 


Contrast and Centrality:  


Two words I drew out of my concept board and that helped bring my design and layout together were contrast and centrality. From these two words I decided where my table was going to be located and to create a wooden panel that centered the room, extending onto the ceiling to highlight the center of the space and allow your eye to be drawn upwards.  The ceiling is a canvas in itself and often gets overlooked because its generally an afterthought. I wanted to incorporate the ceiling into my design as if it were a "fifth wall."
   
Contrast came in the form of color. The concept for my dining space was centered around the table I chose.  The table is a slick material and primary colors so I wanted that to be the focus in the space.   I chose to use neutral colors for the walls, floor and rug with the addition of wood elements as accents. This allowed the table to shine in its own light without competing with any other elements.






 Sideboard: 
  Another task that was part of the assignment was to create a side board. We were challenged on what the true definition of a side board really is and to create something unique that is not seen as the traditional "sideboard" or china cabinet.  My inspiration came from Charles and Ray Eames storage unit and wall hooks.  Their designs and my table are very similar in that they have both have very clean lines and are geometric with pops of color.  I took this idea of contrast and stream line to create a contemporary sideboard that echos my table. I chose to accent it with the same colors as my table so the two elements did not compete with each other.  My sideboard is essentially three pieces that extend across two walls.  There are two shelving units that allow for ample storage or display with colored enclosed "boxes" that allow for hidden storage.  On the wall opposite the windows, the bottom shelf extends outwards to create a long serving counter which could be used as a buffet or another display surface. 
Although the floor plan was given to us, we were allowed to create essentially anything we thought necessary to create a successful dining space.  We concentrated on how we wanted our space to feel and what qualities come to mind when thinking about dining.  Overall it was a successful project to help understand what dining really means and not just to design a space that looks good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment